October 11, 2007
Here is an interesting New York Times article! I thought it offered new perspectives.
And here is a very interesting article from Tulsa World about Richard Roberts, Fred Creek and the local political landscape in which ORU lies.
Meanwhile, deep in the heart of Texas, President Priscilla of TSU is accused of spending more than $500,000 of Texas Southern University‘s money on personal expenses according to this Houston Chronicle article. I wonder if President Priscilla’s case will set a precedent…
Waka waka waka!
Juicy details about it in this abc13.com article. Texas Southern University has just under 10,000 students enrolled this year. Almost twice as big as ORU.
October 10, 2007
Ryan and I are both alums of ORU and as such we’re curious about what the atmosphere is like on campus right now.
Do any current ORU students want to comment?
We had this comment on a previous post:
- I am an ORU alumn (…who took 3 classes with T. Brooker and one with P. Brooker) who is also disappointed but NOT surprised about the allegations (I graduated in 2006) … What angered me the most about the Larry King interview … was that Richard emphatically stated that the university does not endorse political candidates. …I was actually IN CHAPEL when Richard stood up at the podium, as the leader of the university, in front of thousands of students that were mandated to be there, and called Dr. Brooker, from his seat in the back of the auditorium, to come up to the podium and speak about the campaigning that students would be doing for the Randi Miller campaign. I saw this with my own eyes.
Also, from facebook, I found a group called “Save Cornell Cross!!!” – from the description, “Cornell has been harassed and manipulated and faces possible expulsion from certain individuals in ORU administration.” If you remember, Cornell is one of the students quoted in this article from Tulsa World as well as several others.
Update: apparently, George Pearsons spoke in chapel today! Tulsa World’s got the scoop.
October 10, 2007
Here is CNN’s article, post-Larry King. Take note, there’s several interesting comments from Carlton Pearson quoted in the article.
- Bishop Carlton Pearson, a former Oral Roberts protege, told CNN Tuesday that Richard Roberts was “born into privilege.”
- “What others may call extravagance he may not see it as extravagant,” said Pearson. He said he was disappointed but not surprised by the allegations.
Also, some Tulsa World reporters flew to New York on the “leased” plane with Richard and Lindsey. That Tulsa World article is here. In it, Richard and Lindsey refute many of the allegations line by line. An interesting read.
Finally, Phil Cooke the “media guru” had some thoughts about how the Larry King interview affects Richard and Lindsey going forward.
Update: more from Carlton Pearson in the Tulsa World.
October 9, 2007
The transcript of the interview is here.
Here’s an excerpt:
- KING: Another allegation, that ORU’s jet was used to take one of your daughters, plus friends, on a senior trip to Florida and the Bahamas, and the cost of the trip was billed to the Oral Roberts ministry as an Evangelistic function of the president.
- R. ROBERTS: Larry, my daughter and several others went with me on the trip. It was not a senior trip. It was a preaching trip that I had in Florida and the Bahamas, because the regents who live in that area, who had asked me to come to help recruit students to ORU, and they asked me to bring kids with me. And I had to pay the university back for that. And, by the way, the jet is not owned by the university. It is a leased plane.
Two questions were asked by email:
- Barbara in Ashburn, Virginia: “It seems to me these recent allegations, whether true or false, beg the most fundamental questions — why didn’t you make every effort to avoid even the appearance of wrongdoing? Why did you give your enemy an unnecessary opportunity to attack you?”
- Danny in Tulsa: “I’m an ORU alumnus. Why do the majority of ORU students and alumni appear to be grieved, but not surprised, by these allegations? Does it concern you that your excesses are so obvious that most people don’t appear to be shocked to hear of them?”
October 9, 2007
According to this UK paper, Richard was apparently the one interested in running for mayor of Tulsa! 😉
Note: scroll down.
October 9, 2007
Looks like Richard and Lindsey will be making a stopover in Hollywood this evening to be on Larry King Live.
From an email that went out to all Alumni this morning:
It is with great pleasure I am able to tell you that tonight, Lindsay and I are making a special appearance on Larry King Live at 8 p.m. CST on CNN. Up until now we were advised not to speak out on these allegations from a recent lawsuit filed against Oral Roberts University. This interview will give us an opportunity to share our story with the nation. Thank you for your continued support of us and Oral Roberts University.
Dr. Richard Roberts
President and CEO
Oral Roberts University
G-Update: Today’s article on abcnews.go.com. A commenter on this article mentioned that the Board of Regents did indeed ask Richard to step down at some point during this whole thing. Apparently, he said yes and then reneged.