This is a series on being a pregnant paleo/primal Crossfitter. I found out that I was pregnant in August 2011. My due date is in April 2012. I post each week about my Crossfit workouts, what I’m eating and various pregnancy symptoms. Just because I can do it, doesn’t mean you should do it; but you can use my blog as research for your own prescription!
At 18 weeks, ‘round ligament pain’ has begun to include the dull achy kind. At first I was kind of alarmed. I didn’t know what it was. But I looked it up online and called my midwife and she reassured me that it was normal. Whew! Fatigue hits about 9:30 pm each evening now. Last night I went to bed at 10:30 pm and woke up at 6:30 am. Strange for me, but true. Not getting nausea anymore (yay!) and heartburn-without-the-burn is infrequent (but still around). My frequency of urination hasn’t increased this week but hasn’t decreased either; but I am continually amazed by my ability to get up in the middle of the night, do my business and immediately fall back asleep. There must be some miracle pregnancy hormone that makes that possible. Constipation continues. Boobies are still tender. I’m still spacey, forgetful and clumsy. Awesome.
Also, I’ve been feeling the baby kick all week! I love it!!😀
Nothing much new to report on the food front. Still eating real food (full-fat raw or grass-fed dairy, grass-fed or pastured meats, skins and bone broth, lacto-fermented veggies, and home-made condiments). Still taking Vitamin D, Enzymes and Probiotics as well as Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil. On Saturday, I cooked a whole pastured chicken in my crock-pot and made broth from the bones afterwards. I can feel the goodness seeping into my body after a bowl of that broth! Yum!
November 8, 2011
Here’s the WOD:
- 5 rounds of: Row 30 seconds (max effort); 60 seconds rest
- 7 RNFT of: 5 Weighted Pull UP (10/20)/10 Weighted Push Up (25/45)/15 Weighted Squat (25/45)
- 7 RFT of Cindy: 5 Pull UP/10 Push UP/15 Air Squat
- 3 rounds of: Plank (Max Effort); 30-90 seconds rest between efforts
- Warm-up: 611 meters total (for 5 rounds of 30 secs max effort)
- 7 RNFT: I only did 4 rounds.
I used the old black medium band for my pull-ups. I did ring pushups with a *very* easy angle and a pink band for stabilization because my belly has started to get in the way. I did the weighted squats with a 26# kettle bell.
- 5 RFT of Cindy: 6:54
I used the green band for my pull-ups. I stayed on the rings for the push ups. I did regular air squats.
In related news, during my fourth round, while doing the pull-ups, my baby kicked me! I’m not sure if it was a complaint or encouragement! Ha!
- Planks: instead of Planks (3/30 sec) I did Pelvic Tilts (aka Angry Cats)
Thought of the day: Isn’t a weighted air squat, just a squat?
Here’s some photos from today’s WOD:
November 9th, 2011
Here’s the WOD:
- For Time: 100 Double Unders
- For Time: 30 Plate Burpees(25/45)
- PVC Shoulder Mobility
- Hang Squat Snatch- 3/3/3/3/3/3/3 @ 75% 1RM
- Snatch Grip DeadLift- 1/1/1/1/1/1/1 @ 100% Snatch 1RM
- 9 minute AMRAP of: 10 Ball Slam(20/15)/10 Ring Row/10 Tuck Jump
- Undetermined number of single jumps with heavy jump robe…
I just did 5:00 min of singles with the heavy jump robe because my DUs have gone to sh!t since becoming pregnant (I am not the only pregnant woman to have complained about this! See here: 1, 2, 3 and these are women who are definitely still strong!). So, I think I might just continue this plan for the remainder of my pregnancy: singles with the heavy rope. Cool?
- 30 Plate Burpees FT (25#): 3:55
I did a modified push-up but I used the Rx weight. I’m pretty proud of this.
- Hanging Squat Snatch: 7x 3×40
- Snatch Grip Dead-lift: 7x 1×80
- 9 min AMRAP: 5 rnds + 15 + 13
Because I don’t feel comfortable with tuck jumps (and not with knees-2-elbows either), Tammy suggested that I just skip the tuck jumps and do 15 ball slams and 15 ring rows per round. Ring rows were modified with an easier angle.
In the middle of this MetCon, Iz reminded me to check my heart rate. I did and it was about 140 or 145. Good! Seems like I’m keeping my “perceived exertion” in check.
That’s it for today! Here’s a photo of the Hanging Squat Snatch:
November 11, 2011
Here’s the WOD:
- 2 rounds of 1 minute max effort: Row/Double Unders/Burpees; 60 seconds rest between rounds
- 5 min of: Shoulder/Hip mobility
- Power Clean – 2/2/2/2/2 @ 85% 1RM
- Hang Clean – 3/3/3/3/3 @ 65% 1RM
- Front Squat – 1/1/1/1/1 @ 65% 1RM (focused on speed out of the bottom)
- 5 min AMRAP of: 3 each Racked Lunges (65/95)/4 Push Press (65/95)/5 L-Pull Up
- Power Clean: (WU: 2×15, 2×45) 2×75, 2×85, 2×85, 2×85, 2×85
- Hang Squat Clean: 3×35, 3×40, 3×40, 3×40, 3×40
- Front Squat: 1×45, 1×65, 1×65, 1×65, 1×65
For all three movements I kept the weight at or slightly below the recommended weight. I’m not trying to push myself strength-wise. I’m just maintaining. Also, in my condition (I hate that phrase as it relates to pregnancy), I’m more concerned with proper form than pushing big numbers.
- 5 min AMRAP: 3 racked lunges, 4 push press, 5 pull-ups => 3 rnds + 3
Lunges and push press were at 45#. Pull-ups were with the green band. I did this with a challenging weight but I did it *very* slowly. Heart rate felt great the whole time.
November 14th, 2011
Here’s the WOD:
- Tabata – Sprints
- 5 min Hip/Shoulder Mobility
- Grace => 30 RFT of: Clean & Jerk (95/135)
- Hollow Rocks – 15/15/15/15/15
- Good Mornings – 15/15/15/15/15 (45/75)
Here’s what I did…
- Tabata – Running
I did the Tabata but I didn’t sprint. I just ran strong and worked on form.
- Grace @ 55# => 4:21
- Hollow Rocks Sub => Hollow Hangs…
I’m not sure these are any better for me than Hollow Rocks. I think I’m gonna stick with Cat-Cows (aka Pelvic Tilts) for ab work.
- Good Mornings: 15×35, 15×45, 15×35, 15×45, 15×35
I supposed I coulda done 5x15x40, but I had 35 on the bar and grabbing a 45 bar was easy, so I just switched it up.
I checked my resting heartrate last night. It was 58.
Also, here’s a photo!!