This is a series on being a pregnant paleo/primal Crossfitter. I found out that I was pregnant in August 2011. My due date is April 2012. I post each week about my Crossfit workouts, what I’m eating and various pregnancy symptoms. Just because I can do it, doesn’t mean you should do it; but you can use my blog as research for your own prescription!
At 15 weeks, nausea occurs occasionally in the evenings. And sometimes still when hungry (but not always). Fatigue has mostly subsided but I am more tired sooner in the evenings than before I was pregnant. And I still sometimes take a nap in the afternoons on days that I’ve had a workout in the morning. Mild headaches are still occurring occasionally. Constipation is still occurring. Nose stuffiness is still in effect. Frequency of urination seems like it has increased yet again. Boobies are still sore and vivid dreams continue. Forgetfulness seems to be getting worse. As I said to my mother, “I’m so forgetful that I forgot that I was forgetful before I got pregnant!”
So I’m definitely going to be eating fewer rice produces and cut back on the carbs in general. Otherwise, everything will remain the same: chicken sausage with cheese and sauerkraut for breakfast, meat and starch or meat and salad for lunch, and meat and vegetable for dinner. My current favourite post-workout snack is an apple with some of my homemade nutella. I’m still drinking juice; but much less than a few weeks back.
October 17, 2011 – 15 Weeks (less one day)
This was the WOD:
- Warm Up- Coaches Choice
- DeadLift- 1/1/1/1/1 @85% 1RM
- Squat- 3/3/3/3/3 @80% 1RM
- Press- 6/6/6 @ 65% 1RM
- Half Cindy or Mary (Cindy is 5 pull-ups / 10 push-ups / 15 air squats)
- Warm-up: 20 burpees
- Dead-lifts: 85% of 1RM was 140#, I did 5x(1×135#)
- Back Squats: 85% of 1RM was 100#, I did 5x(3×95#)
- Press: 85% of 1RM was 35#, I did 6×45#, 6×40#, 6×40#
- Half Cindy (10 minutes) => 5 full rounds + 5 pull-ups + 10 push-ups
I used the green band on the pull-ups and push-ups were modified w/ knees. I went slow on purpose. Didn’t push myself. Just kept a steady pace. Heart rate felt good.
October 18, 2011 – 15 Weeks
Today I jogged one mile and walked half a mile.
October 19, 2011 – 15 Week + 1 Day
Here’s the WOD:
- Warm-up: 400M Run @75% Intensity
- Isabel – 30 Snatch (135/95)
- Power Clean-2/2/2/2/2/2/2 @ 80% 1RM
- Warm-up: 500m row @ 26 spm (75%) => 2:39
- Snatch Warm-up: 5×15, 3×35, 1×45, 3×40
- Isabel: 4:37 @ 35#
- Power Cleans: 2×35, 2×50, 2×60, 2×70, 2×70, 2×70, 2×70
On the Snatches/Isabel, I just couldn’t get power this morning. Was it lack of sleep? Was it pregnancy? Was it that I didn’t want to hurt myself? I think it’s mostly that I’m slowly draining myself of pride in wanting to lift heavy and transferring it to pride in wanting to lift well. Also, I don’t want to strain anything in my core these days. Ya know, being pregnant and all!
On the Power Cleans, 80% of my 1RM was 72# so I felt confident with 70#. They felt good. Challenging but good.
Heart rate felt good.
October 20, 2011 – Rest Day
October 21, 2011 – 15.5 Weeks
Here’s the WOD:
- Hang Power Clean- 3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3 @65% 1RM
- Front Squat- 3/3/3 @80% 1RM
- Press- 2/2/2/2/2 (Max Effort)
- WU1: Tabata Rope Undulation
- WU2: 10m AMRAP of 20 DU / 15 AirSq / 10 Ring Row => 1 rnd + 10
- Hang Power Cleans @ 65% of 1RM: (WU 3×15, 3×30, 3×45) 10 sets of 3×50 + 1 set of 3×65
These were somewhat easy. Perhaps my 1RM is off? It’s dated from July…?
- Front Squats @ 80% of 1RM: (WU 3×50, 3×65) 3×85, 3×85, 3×85
These were tough. I really tried to worked on form – i.e. keeping my chest up and not leaning forward too much.
- Press (Max Effort): 2×35, 2×45, 2×55, F@60, F@60, 2×55 (PR!)
Nothing to say. Except that my 1RM is 55 and I couldn’t even do one rep of 60. That wall is solid.
October 22, 2011 – Rest
October 23, 2011 – 15 Weeks plus 5 days
Jogged 1 mile.
October 24, 2011 – 15 Weeks plus 6 days
HEre’s the WOD:
- For Time: 100 Double Unders
- Squat- 5/5/5 @ 65-80% 1RM
- Zercher Squat- 3/3/3/3/3 @ 65% 1RM
- Over Head Squat- 1/1/1/1/1 @ 90% 1RM
- 21/15/9 RFT of: HSPU/Ring Dips/Pistols (each leg)
- Warm-up: I broke the rope I was using after an unbroken set of 11 DUs; so I just did jumping jacks for the rest of the time until the last person finished their 100s.
- (Box) Squats: (WU 5×45, 5×45) 5×65, 5×85, 3×90, 5×85
I failed on the fourth rep on the set at 90#. So I went back to 85.
- Z. Squats: 3x 55 / 65 / 65 / 65 / 65
I worked in with another athlete, Marina. These were easier than I thought they’d be. Also, easier to maintain form – I guess because it was lighter weight?
- OHS: F@65, 1×50, 1×55, 1×55, 1×55, 1×55
55 is 68% of my 1RM.
I think pregnancy hormones are making my squats go to crap because of the hormone relaxin. It’s either that or that I’ve been working on correcting my form. Or both.
- 21 / 15 / 9 RFT of HSPU / Ring Dips / Pistols => 21:03
I did 18# KB Press, leg-assisted ring dips, and arm-assistant pistols.
Thanks to Dan for all the great coaching, and to Marina and Rory for the encouragement and helpful corrections!
Here’s a photo!!